Saturday 30 April 2011

I am serious when I say I am a monarchist.

And it has little to do with the recent wedding of the Duke of Cambrige, Prince of Wales-Saxe-Coburg-Gotha-Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg and Kate of wherever-the-fuck-is-Middleton (I say this in jest; don't kill me).

I admit, though, that my allegiance is hardly rational and is almost purely sentimental (so don't argue politics with me just yet). I am an advocate of secularism and I love my democracy; but my concern and affection for Their Majesties go back several generations in my family and are very difficult to dismiss. I choose to continue keeping that love.

Prince-william-kate-middleton-royal-wedding

All that said, I wish the royal couple well. If the United Kingdom must remain a constitutional monarchy -- and I pray it does for it to remain the United Kingdom -- it is only natual that we wish the newly-wed couple the best of all things: Hail and be well, Ye Duke and Duchess of Cambrigde! We wish you continuance and prosperity. God save the line of Kings!

PS: The Majesties mentioned above refer to the King and Queen of Spain, but may also extend to their kinsmen (which just about includes every royal house in Europe), thus also the Queen of the UK (sovereign of my adopted culture) and her newly-wed grandson.

No comments:

Post a Comment